The Best Croquet Set For 2022
Invented in the eleventh century in France and borrowed by the Brits in the twelfth century, croquet is one of the oldest lawn games in the world.
It has class, elegance, and it’s fairly easy to play. So, why don’t you upscale your backyard game collection with the best croquet set? If you don’t know which to pick, check out our selection below.
Franklin Sports Vintage is premium croquet set perfect for those who don’t mind to spend a buck.
- Best Croquet Set Reviews
- 1. Franklin Sports Vintage Croquet Set
- 2. GoSports Six Player Croquet Set for Adults & Kids
- 3. Juegoal Six Player Croquet Set with Carrying Bag
- 4. GSE Games & Sports Expert Premium 6-Player Croquet Set for Adults & Kids
- 5. Himal Premium Wooden Six Player Croquet Set
- Croquet Set Buying Guide
- Wrapping It All Up
Best Croquet Set Reviews
Franklin Sports Vintage is premium croquet set perfect for those who don’t mind to spend a buck.
- FUN FOR ALL: This 6-player croquet set is the perfect way to get family and friends of all ages out on the...
- DURABLE BALLS: This set comes with (6) durable, all-weather croquet balls that are built to last year after...
- WOODEN MALLETS: This set comes with (6) 36" color coordinated wooden mallets with brass fittings for premium...
It’s not exactly economical, but it impresses with the quality of its details. Inspired by the vintage sets, it comes with a stylish croquet stand, six colored balls and corresponding colored mallets, nine bent steel wire wickets, and two painted wood stakes.
The brass fittings on the mallet heads and stand enhance the vintage look and the value of this set.
Perfect for the backyard, it might not be the greatest choice for camping or tailgating, due to the lack of a carrying bag.
Ideal for up to six people, the set is made from high-quality materials, included 36-inch long natural wood mallet shafts.
If you trust Franklin Sports brand but don’t want to break the bank, the manufacturer also proposes modern intermediate, classic, and expert sets that come cheaper and packed in convenient carrying bags.
Nevertheless, the vintage design will surely make you stand out from the crowd.
- COMPLETE CROQUET SET: Includes 6 color mallets, 6 balls, 9 wickets, 2 end posts and rules
- DELUXE: Full size 35 inch handles can be used by players of all sizes; Handles are wrapped with comfort grip...
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Mallets are crafted from premium Hardwoods for durability and feature a modern design...
GoSports knew just how to add a contemporary twist to a centenary game, making its croquet set one of the most acclaimed on the market.
This complete set comes with all needed to play straight out of the box, including six mallets and colored balls, 9 wickets, and two end posts. Comprehensive game rules are also included for first-time players, making this set for six an excellent all-rounder.
Available in Standard and Deluxe variants, it’s perfect for both adults and kids. With a minimal price difference between them, we’d recommend the latter.
Indeed, the Deluxe version boasts premium hardwood mallets with 35-inch handles wrapped in comfort grip. They are fairly lightweight, balanced, and easy to control. A modern finish throughout makes this classic set look like any modern backyard game.
The game comes stylishly packed in a convenient carrying case, so you can enjoy croquet either at home or on the go.
Like all GoSports games, this six-player croquet set is backed by a manufacturer’s warranty and benefits from after-sale customer support and a satisfaction guarantee.
All these features and an attractive price tag make it the best croquet set for the money.
- Includes 6 x 28" Burlywood hardwood handles, 6 x 8" hardwood mallets with caps for added protection, 2 x 18"...
- Easy set-up, hardwood handle and hardwood mallet are easy to install, simply screw the handle into the mallet,...
- Easy to carry, with a extra drawing bag, all mallets and balls can be easily stored without disassembly. This...
Another excellent choice, if you’re looking for a cheaper croquet set, is this one by Juegoal. Like the GoSports, it’s a six-player croquet set ideal for adults and kids.
The first thing that stands out is the design of the mallets. They’re made from hardwood and boast vintage lines. Nevertheless, the choice of bright, vibrant colors gives it that lovely, contemporary look your kids might expect from a lawn game.
The shorter, 26-inch handles make it more suitable for the kids. Beside the mallets, this set also includes everything else you need to set up the game and engage in an exciting match.
Coming disassembled, the hardwood mallets and handles are easy to put together by simply screwing the handle into the mallet. The wooden parts might have some rough edges; nevertheless, this is a great starter set for the price.
Perfect for family gatherings, camping, or picnics, the set comes in an extra-large, branded carrying bag.
- Enjoy a friendly outdoor game of croquet with family and friends with this 6-player croquet set
- A great backyard lawn game for kids, teens and adults. Take the competition wherever you go including the...
- Includes everything needed to play: 6 mallets, 6 colored balls, 2 stakes, 9 wickets and 1 carrier for easy...
GSE 6-player croquet set is a premium product suitable for both kids and adults. A tad more expensive than the two picks above, it still has a more than a reasonable price tag, and it impresses with its quality.
It comes with 6 hardwood mallets made from Thailand Oakwood. The 36-inch handle is ideal for most players, while the 3.5-inch polymer balls withstand all weathers.
The mallets are easy to install, and the set comprises all accessories you need to play straight out of the box.
Another nice thing is the reliable nylon carrying bag; made from 800D fabric, it’s big enough to accommodate the assembled mallets, so you won’t have to dismantle them every time.
Ideal for intermediate players, it’s a great choice for picnics, camping, tailgating, and other outdoor reunions. For younger kids and beginners, the classic set featuring a shorter mallet and smaller balls could be a more appropriate choice.
Regardless of which one you choose, this is undoubtedly a great croquet set under $100.
- UPGRADED SIZE: The full length of upgrade mallets is 32 inch, longer than other brands, more suitable for...
- Made of high quality hardwood for prolonged use and feature a modern design that will look great for any lawn,...
- Easy to set up, simply screw the handle into the mallet, you can start and play the game in a few minutes....
If you’d like a heavy-duty croquet set at a price that won’t break the bank, the Himal Premium Wooden Croquet Set for six players could be the one you were looking for.
Perfect for beginner to intermediate players, it comes with standard 28-inch mallets which are ideal for people of all ages. Combined with the smaller-than-average croquet balls, this set is also suitable for smaller kids.
Easy to set up, Himal Premium includes 6 color mallets and croquet balls, 6 hand glues, two ending stakes, and 9 steel wickets.
Made to resist harsh use and weather, it has weather-resistant polymer balls; the wood and steel components are also designed to resist elements.
Like the other croquet sets on our list, this one comes with a large carrying bag you can use to store all components without disassembling them.
Sure, you can’t expect this set to last more than a few seasons; but for the money, this is the best croquet set for enthusiasts on a budget.
Croquet Set Buying Guide
There is a big difference between casual and tournament croquet sets. Assuming you’re looking for a backyard game you can enjoy with friends and family, here’s what to have in mind before buying.
- Number of players: Croquet is a flexible game that can be played in two or multiple players. Before choosing your set, though, you should consider how many people would want to play at once. If you only plan to enjoy the game only with your kids, a 4-player set could suffice. If you want to throw a croquet match at a party or gathering, a 6-player set would be a more appropriate choice. Because 6-player sets are more versatile and often affordable, we really recommend them.
- Materials: Next, you should check the material the mallets, and other components of the set are made from. Most sets come with wooden mallets that try to reproduce the vintage games. They are durable and resistant, a great choice for most people. Natural wood is usually lighter than hardwood, and these sets could be a better choice for kids, elderly, and physically impaired players. However, hardwood will last longer.
- Balls: Another thing to check is the weight of the balls. Most amateur croquet sets come with smaller 9oz or 12oz composite or plastic balls. They are ideal for beginners, children, and even intermediate players. Regulation croquet sets have heavier 16oz balls, but in this case, the mallets are also heavier and harder to maneuver. If the manufacturer doesn’t disclose the actual weight of the ball, it’s safe to assume it’s on the lighter side.
- Wickets: Croquet sets usually have steel wickets made of thinner or thicker wire. The thinner ones are usually fine for casual backyard play, but might not withstand the heavier balls of regulation croquet sets. Most garden hoops also have straight legs, which again, are fine for the purpose. However, if you want to play a true tournament, you need heavy-duty wickets with “carrot” style legs.
- Instructions: While croquet instructions are easy to find online, it is still nice to get a set that comes with them, especially if you’re a beginner. It is easy to take it for granted that all sets come with a set of rules, but you might want to check before buying.
- Carrying bag: A carrying bag is not essential, but it surely is a valuable accessory. If your set comes with one, make sure it’s sturdy, comfortable to carry, and big enough to accommodate the assembled mallets.
Wrapping It All Up
Croquet is one of the oldest yet timeless lawn games. Whether you’re a first-time or a well-versed player, you’ll surely have hours of outdoor fun playing this British classic.
We hope this list has helped you find the best croquet set for you and your family.
If you’d like to share your thoughts, leave us a comment below. And if you know someone else who might enjoy a classic game, share this article with your friends.