There are a few fundamental requisites that determine the quality and amount of fun you can have while playing lawn games. One of them is the state of your lawn. A too tall or unevenly cut grass can negatively impact your play. An easy way to keep it manicured is with the best lawn mower for small lawns. If you don’t know which to pick, check out our selection below.
- Best Lawn Mower For Small Lawns Reviews
- 1. BLACK+DECKER 12-Inch Compact Electric Lawn Mower
- 2. Greenworks 20-Inch Corded Lawn Mower
- 3. Earthwise 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- 4. Greenworks 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- 5. Sun Joe 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- Lawn Mower for Small Lawns Buying Guide
- Types of Lawn Mowers
- Cutting Width and Height
- Grass Clippings Management
- Other Essential Features
Best Lawn Mower For Small Lawns Reviews
This compact electric lawn mower from BLACK+DECKER is hands-down the best lawn mower for small lawns. It’s an electric mower powered by a 6.5-amp motor, but it truly shines because of its 3-in-1 function.
This is more than a lawn mower, it’s a mower, string trimmer, and edger developed to help you manicure your lawn quickly and easily. You won’t have to worry about switching between tools anymore and will be able to enjoy excellent performance regardless of the type of grass or weeds growing in your area.
The tool utilizes .065 line and has an automatic feed spool that ensures work continuity without bumping or stopping to adjust the spool.
In mower mode, it fixes on a wheeled base and provides a cutting width of 12 inches. It’s really easy to maneuver on all terrains and even in tight or awkward corners; we also like that it comes with an adjustable cutting height between 1.6 and 2.4 inches.
To use it as a trimmer or edger, just remove the wheeled base and enjoy its exceptional balance. This tool comes with a PowerDrive transmission that enhances performance through tough weeds and grass.
Other perks include an adjustable handle as well as a cord retention system which prevents accidental disconnection.
Like most BLACK+DECKER tools, this won’t be the most durable. Nevertheless, it has a more than competitive price; it is versatile, lightweight, and easy to use. No doubt, one of the best lawn mowers for small lawns you can find.
- 3 tools in 1, easily converts from push mower to trimmer to edger.
- The 6.5 amp motor of this electric mower provides maximum performance when trimming through the toughest weeds, grass and overgrowth.
- AUTOMATIC FEED SPOOL (AFS) of this push lawn mower ensures continue work without bumping and having to stop to adjust the spool.
- Just rotate to convert from trimmer to edger with easy conversion wheeled edging.
- Gear Drive Transmission prevents bogging down in heavy grass and weeds.
If you have a slightly larger lawn or need more power, check out the Greenworks 20-Inch Corded Lawn Mower.
This corded mower is powered by a 12-amp motor and is ideal for half an acre lawns. Its 20-inch cutting swath will help you finish mowing quickly, and the machine can even deal with most types of grass thanks to the 7-position height adjustment.
The cutting height varies between 1-1/2 and 3-3/4 inches, so you can match it with the type of grass you have.
It has a manual drive system and a quick-start button. Despite the push design, the mower is quite easy to maneuver thanks to the large, all-terrain wheels. Expect 7-inch front wheels and 10-inch rear.
Another nice thing is the grass management possibilities. This mower comes with a 3-in-1 system that allows mulching, bagging, and side discharging. Perhaps the mulching function is the best, as fine grass clippings will provide nourishment to your lawn.
Bagging is ideal if the lawn is not excessively large and you don’t want to use a rake to gather clippings once you’re done. The mower also has a foldable handle for compact storage and transport.
- Durable 20-inch steel deck
- Powerful 12 amp motor cuts through the toughest grass
- Unlimited run-time with AC corded power
- Durable steel 21-inch cutting deck gets the job done quicker and more efficiently
- 3-in-1 system - mulch, rear bagging, and side discharge
The Earthwise 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower might not be the most versatile when it comes to grass clippings management, but it is when it comes to setting the cutting height. This mower comes with a side lever that let you quickly adjust the height between 1.5 and 4 inches.
Easy to use, it comes with sturdy wheels that enhance maneuverability and is powered by a reliable 8-amp motor.
A large cutting swath of 14 inches is also great for tackling small to mid-sized lawns in a breeze. Furthermore, its adjustable handle with cushioned grip enhances comfort and improves handling on all terrains.
Regarding clippings management, you can choose from either mulching or side discharge. This shouldn’t be an issue if you’re mostly using the mulching function anyway. However, you’ll have to gather the clippings with a rake if you don’t want to mulch the lawn, which means double work.
The mower is truly lightweight and easy to operate and even comes with a folding handle for easy storage. Moreover, it also has a convenient cord retention hook that enhances safety by keeping the cord secure while in use.
- Battery-operated Earthwise snow thrower with 16" clearing width, 8" clearing depth, 32' snow throwing distance
- Powerful shovel machine with a quiet and reliable 40v brushless motor; 4Ah Earthwise battery and charger Included
- Efficient snow blower motor that moves 300lbs of snow per minute
- Comfortable and ergonomic snow blower handle; Features 6" rear wheels, and dual blade auger
- Earthwise Power Tools by ALM snow thrower with a convenient 180-degree rotating chute
Great for lawns of up to half an acre, the Greenworks 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower is perfect for homeowners who want to mow their lawn in all freedom, with no strings attached. It has a power comparable to the lower end gas mowers, but it’s environmentally friendly, quiet, and easy to use.
It’s powered by a 40V G-MAX battery which works with all other power tools in the system. Its 2Ah provide up to 45 minutes of runtime, and the battery comes with a fast charger. If you already own other cordless Greenworks tools, you can even use another battery for continuous mowing on a larger lawn.
Easy to maneuver, this beast boasts 6-inch front and 7-inch rear wheels. The 16-inch cutting swath is perfect for most lawns, but it might be less suitable to fit in tight corners.
We also like the single lever 5-position adjustment that offers a generous cutting height range between 1-1/4 and 3-3/8 inches. It also offers bagging and mulching capabilities, and it’s easy to store thanks to the foldable handle. Only keep in mind that the battery is a hassle to remove from its compartment.
- Up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0 Ah Battery
- Lightweight 16" cutting deck allows you to maneuver through small to medium size yards more efficiently
- Ideal for yards up to 1/2 acre
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range , Max Cutting Height:3-⅜ Inch and Min Cutting Height:1-¼ Inch, Powerful Electric Motor
- 4.0 Ah battery charges in 120 Minutes
The last on our list of the best lawn mowers for small lawns is the Sun Joe 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower. Powered by a 40V interchangeable battery, this mower is a beast that can get rid of all types of grass.
It runs for up to 40 minutes on a single charge and boasts whisper-quiet operation. Perhaps its best feature is the EcoSharp technology that prevents the fading of power. This characteristic ensures maximum performance, helping you achieve flawless results.
Besides the powerful battery, the unit also comes with a powerful brushless motor that increases battery efficiency and performance. Low vibrations enhance comfort during use, while the super-compact design is ideal for small to mid-sized lawns.
Like the Greenworks above, this mower has a cutting swath of 16 inches but comes with a 6-position adjustable cutting height that varies between 1.18 and 3.15 inches. We also like its all-terrain wheels and the collapsible handle that ensures easy transport and storage.
- For use with iBAT40 Series 40 V lithium-ion batteries and iCHRG40 and iCHRG40QC chargers - sold separately
- No pull cords, gas, oil, tune-ups, carbon emissions or tangled extension cords
- Powerful brushless motor increases battery efficiency, maximizes motor performance, decreases noise and vibration and extends motor life
- Compact design ideal for small to mid-sized lawns
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty; Energy Star certified
Lawn Mower for Small Lawns Buying Guide
If this is your first time buying a lawn mower, know that there are a host of things to consider before settling on a model. It’s not all about the mower’s performance. You must also weigh in its compatibility with your lawn. To start gradually, the first thing to decide is which type of lawn mower to buy.
Types of Lawn Mowers
There are two types of mowers suitable for small lawns, walk-behind and robotic. The formers are the traditional mowers we all know. The latter look like robotic vacuum cleaners. They are powered by a battery and designed to do all the hard work for you. Because you can’t actually control anything more than the area where they mow, the results might not be as exceptional as you wish.
However, these mowers are a great alternative for homeowners with little available time or who are physically impaired.
Walk-behind lawn mowers are a more popular option, and you can essentially pick from the following three types:
- Gas-powered: Perhaps the most powerful, but also the noisiest. They are powered by gasoline engines and are typically beasts that can deal with anything the lawn is throwing at them. They have started to lose popularity though due to the maintenance required. Due to pollution concerns, they are also banned in some states.
- Corded mowers: Are powered by electricity. Simply plug the tool into a wall outlet and enjoy limitless runtime. These machines are slightly weaker than gas, but they produce no emissions, are quiet, and lightweight. They are perfect for small lawns of up to a quarter acre, and your actual mobility will be subject to the length of the power cord. Because extension cords come with hazards, we wouldn’t recommend using them.
- Cordless mowers: Are also electric, but powered by a battery. These models are the most popular among homeowners because you won’t have to worry about a cord, emissions, or maintenance. Some brands are even as powerful as the gas-powered, and all you have to worry about is the run time. However, you can invest in two batteries and use them in tandem to ensure continuous operation on larger lawns.
Another thing to consider is the mower’s drive. The manual drive means that you’ll have to push and direct the mower, an operation that could require some muscle on hilly terrains. Self-propelled mowers come with a motorized drive that pushes the mower, and you’ll only have to maintain direction. Useless to say they are easier to use and maneuver.
Cutting Width and Height
Regardless of what type you like, the most important features to check are the cutting width and height.
Push lawn mowers come with cutting widths between 12 and 20 inches. A larger deck will help you mow faster, but it’s not necessarily a better choice than a smaller one. Bigger decks might not fit in the narrower corners of your property, and they are also harder to maneuver around obstacles.
In broad lines, you’ll need:
|Cutting deck size||Lawn size||Landscape configuration|
|12-14 inches||Up to ¼ acres||Narrow corners and many obstacles|
|14-16 inches||¼ – ½ acres||Few obstacles or awkward corners|
|16-20 inches||½+ acres||Very few obstacles and no narrow spaces|
The optimal cutting height is determined by the type of grass you have. Cold-season grasses typically thrive at shorter heights, whereas warm-season varieties prefer longer heights. Because each grass has different preferences, it is essential to find out the optimal cutting length for it before buying the mower.
Luckily, most lawn mowers come with adjustable cutting heights that give you the opportunity to set the machine at the right dimension for your grass, usually between 1 and 4 inches.
Grass Clippings Management
Another thing you’ll have to decide is what to do with the clippings once you’ve mowed the lawn. There are essentially two options, transform them into mulch or dispose of them.
Most lawn mowers for small lawns have the mulching capability. This means the machine will shred the grass into fine clippings, then push the clippings towards the ground. Mulching acts as a fertilizer, prevents the growth of weeds and protects the grass from diseases or pests.
However, mulching is not recommended in late spring or early fall; that’s why most machines also have bagging or side discharge capabilities.
The former gathers the clippings into a bag, so you can dispose of them easily. The latter shoots the clippings back on the lawn, from where you’ll have to gather them in piles with a rake.
Other Essential Features
Besides the above, you should also check the following features:
- Wheels: Determine traction; it is essential to get a mower with all-terrain wheels, which will be easier to maneuver on both flat and hilly lawns.
- Collapsible handle: It is essential for easier transport and storage. You should also check if you can adjust the height of the handle to match your height.
- Soft grip: Is not essential but will undoubtedly improve your user experience, enhancing ergonomics and comfort.
- Weight: A lighter mower is easier to maneuver. Corded mowers tend to be the lightest due to the absence of a gas tank or battery.
- Battery indicator: If you decide to go for a cordless mower, a battery indicator will tell you how much juice the battery still has, when it’s time to recharge, and the charge status.
- Safety: If you have kids, a key start will prevent them from accidentally starting the machine when you’re not supervising them. A circuit breaker is essential on corded mowers, stopping the motor in case of overload.